Alex York's Art & Animation Blog: Layout!

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Layout!

We started up our first layout class this semester. It's been pretty good so far. We've been going over composition, aspect ratio, perspective, and design principles. Most recently, we've been practicing with using perspective. I'm uploading my one point and two point perspective assignments (which are the most recent layout ones).

I did my one-point based on the end section of Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, trying to imagine the room in which Link finds the Triforce. This was my first time to do a layout completely on a Cintiq. I feel I learned a lot from the experience.



I did my two point perspective on paper. I find I have trouble drawing circles or curves properly on the Cintiqs. It's something I need to practice on. I feel pretty good about my two-point perspective. I started out by just making it a large empty hallway, but I adapted it to loosely be a lost Airbender temple from Avatar the Last Airbender (a show I've been gleefully watching through recently). I added AAng, Momo, Katara, Sokka and Toph for size comparison.


Both images have a 12 field guide (16:9 aspect ratio) guide on them for reference.

1 comment:

Jordan Blakey said...

Great work and nice article! I'm jealous you have a Cintiq. :) Been thinking about getting one of those for yars but it's so steep!